Shukubo (Temple Guesthouse) Information

Muryoko-in was founded by the fourth Imperial Prince of Emperor Shirakawa(1092-1153), in the Heian Period. It produced Chuko Indomo Daitoku (1435-1519), which was called the second return of Kobo Daishi, his disciples Kakufusu and Ino Kiyotane, and other talented monks.
During the Warring States period, Kenshin Uesugi gained the rank of Ajari, an esoteric priest, under Kiyotane.
The concourse was founded by the monk Kangen (854-925). Nobunaga Oda’s guardian monk and the priest at the time, from Asama Nagamasa of Makuhashi to Kocho (the first lord of the Wakayama clan), Nagasen (Hiroshima lord) and successive lords of the Asano family have their family temples here.
Yoshio Oishi of Chushingura (Kuranosuke) and Foreign Minister Mutsu Mitsuyoshi Mutsu stayed there after the Meiji era, Uesugi, Asano, Oda, Arisugawa Former Miyake and other houses still continue to do so today.

  • Facility information

    Address 611 Koyasan, Koya-cho, Ito-gun, Wakayama JAPAN
    TEL/FAX TEL : +81(0)736-56-2104
    FAX : +81(0)736-56-4555
    Experiences ・Sutra Copying(¥1,000)
    ・Ajikan Meditation(¥1,000)
     ※Reservation required
    ・Fire Ceremony (Morning)

    Morning buddhist ceremonies
    Bus guidance Take a bus from NO.2 bus stop bound for Okunoin-mae, and the nearest bus stop is Keisatsu-mae.
    Annotation Check-in / 15:00~19:00
    Check-out / 10:00
    Capacity / 100 individual guests
    Curfew / 22:00
    Facilities / Main temple hall/Japanese garden/Parking Public bath(Men and women are separated)/ Western Style toilet/Wi-Fi


Go Top